Wednesday 25 April 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie Cocktail


My girlfriend and I go to a lot of restaurants. I enjoy when I try new places, and she enjoys when I pay. There are a lot of excellent restaurants in this city, and I've been to most of them at least once. They all have their own charm, but there's only a handful that I revisit. I go back because of good deals, or unique dishes, or because my girlfriend tells me to.

Her favourite upscale spot is The Keg. Not so much because of the steak or the seafood, but because of the Lemon Meringue Pie Martini. When it comes to expensive food, I prefer small, local restaurants to chains like The Keg, but I have to admit that this drink is something special. It has all the elements of a great lemon meringue pie: sweet lemon, frothy meringue, soft graham crust, and serious alcohol content. Just like Grandma used to make.


The Keg's martini will run you $10 a pop, but with some sleuthing and experimentation, I found that you can make the same drink at home for about $3. Granted, at The Keg you're paying for the atmosphere, but the atmosphere requires you to wear pants, so it's not necessarily a good thing.

Here's what you'll need:


That's Galliano, Limoncello, pineapple juice, graham crumbs, and a high-tech shaking apparatus, such as the handy cook's secret weapon, the Mason Jar. You'll also need ice, and lemon juice if you prefer drinks more tart than sweet.

To get the soft graham crust I mentioned, we’ll rim the glass with the crumbs. Pour some Limoncello into a bowl and dip the top of the glass in it. Or you can use lemon juice, if, like me, your job drives you to drink but pays too little to waste any.


Spread some graham crumbs in another bowl and dip the moistened glass rim in it. Turn the glass to ensure a good coat of crumbs.


Now for the meat of the drink. Over ice, pour one part Galliano, two parts Limoncello, and three parts pineapple juice. Add a dash of lemon juice if you want to cut the sweetness. Shake for ten to fifteen seconds. It helps if you imagine that the jar owes you money.

I'm literally shaking with anger.
The more you foam at the mouth with rage, the more the meringue will foam on top of the drink. Shaking aerates the pineapple juice, giving the drink a frothy, meringue-like head. The Galliano gives this “meringue” the characteristic vanilla taste. Other recipes for lemon meringue drinks recommend whipped cream or egg whites, but I prefer the texture and simplicity of the pineapple juice. Plus, shaking the juice gets more fun after you've had three or four.


Strain the ice out for a martini-like presentation. I prefer mine with the ice still in. I imagine this drink more as a cocktail than a martini, since only half the ingredients are alcoholic. Which is what I sound like for making this distinction.

This drink is a delicious, potent, and surprisingly simple dessert in a glass. It's 100% Girlfriend Approved, and it's totally cool with you not wearing pants. Your girlfriend might not be, though. As if underwear is something her friends haven't seen before.

“Too Long; Didn't Read” Version:

1 part Galliano, 2 parts Limoncello, 3 parts pineapple juice, shake with ice and strain. Add an optional dash of lemon juice to cut the sweetness. Rim glass with graham crumbs for extra fancy-pantsery.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, this isn't a true martini, as there are non-alcoholic ingredients in it. That being said, it sounds amazing and I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete